It is that time again to shake off the winter doldrums, and get started on your Spring gardening. Included here are tips, tricks and reminders to help you keep on track this season. If you have questions that are not answered here, please do not be afraid to ask email@example.com. It is what we are here for.
- Now is the time to apply preemergent weed control to help prevent weeds this season. We suggest A-Vert from Ferti-lome. It contains 3 different herbicides, and so is able to cover a broader range of weed types. It also contains fertilizer to give your lawn a good little boost to get going.
- Now is also a good time to aerate your lawn. Aeration helps to get water and nutrients to your lawn’s roots, where they are most needed.
- This is a good time to apply soil amendments such as Soil Activator, Milorganite, or Revive. All three of these help to break down your existing thatch and turn it into nutrients for your lawn.
- If you do have existing broadleaf weeds in your yard, use Ferti-lome Weed Free Zone to kill them. It is one of the few herbicides that is effective in cooler weather.
- When prepping your flowerbeds and vegetable gardens, it is a good idea to use a soil amendment like Happy Frog Soil Conditioner to give some new life to your soil. Our soil in West Texas can be troublesome, and using soil amendments can help to make it more manageable, and give you better results in your garden.
- You can also fertilize your beds now to add some nutrients back into your soil. We suggest Garden and Fruit Tree fertilizer.
- Spring flowers such as alyssum, snapdragons, and stock can be planted now for a pop of color in your beds, and you can also start planting some flowering perennials and shrubs.
- Now is the time to plant onions, asparagus, seed potatoes, and rhubarb. You can also plant some of your cold crop veggies like brussel sprouts.
- It is still a little early for summer vegetables like squash or melons to be put outside, but you can start them in the house or a greenhouse and move them out when the time is right.
Trees & Shrubs
- Now is the time to drench your shade and evergreen trees and shrubs to help prevent insect infestation through the coming year. We like Ferti-lome Systemic Tree & Shrub Drench. Once applied, it should prevent most pests on your plants for up to a year.
- This is also a good time to fertilize your trees and shrubs. Tree and Shrub Food from Sure Green works well for trees and evergreen shrubs, and Rose Food with Systemic Insecticide works well on flowering shrubs.