Air Condition Unit May Be To Blame For House Fire

By Ariana Lubelli |

Published 07/09 2014 05:41PM

Updated 07/09 2014 07:35PM

A family is without a home after a house fire in north Abilene.

The blaze sparked around three-thirty this morning at a home on Jefferies Street. Heavy flames quickly spread throughout the home and reached the owner's vehicle. The house and car were a total loss.

A family of five was in the home at the time of the fire. Two adults and two children were taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries.

Neighbors say when they saw flames, they immediately ran over to make sure no one was trapped inside. They saw children being pulled out of the burning structure through the window.

This isn't the first time in recent weeks that investigators say a house fire was started from electrical causes.

Brent Bunkley of Bunkley Electric gives tips on how to beat the heat and not cause it. He says the warm temperatures are especially tough on electrical equipment. To assure safety, don't overload a circuit. You could potentially heat up the wiring, causing the insulation to melt, leading to trouble.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon