The pastor of a north side Abilene church got an unfortunate call overnight. Neighbors of the Valley View Missionary Baptist Church saw flames coming from behind the church fellowship hall. Someone sparked a fire to the church storage shed. The fire burned the shed down to its frame, but besides that, it didn't cause any damage to the church or the fellowship hall. Even so, the blaze did leave behind ashes of the church history, including records from its beginning years and minutes from memorable board meetings.
The church celebrated its 40th year anniversary late Sunday. It's been a staple in the neighborhood in some form since 1973.
Senior Pastor Andrew Penns says someone tampered with the storage shed lock two times before the fire, but they nothing was ever taken or damaged. He says while unfortunate, the records and other things in the storage can be replaced. He's simply thankful that the fire didn't spread to the church or any other areas. Pastor Penns says the church plans to build another storage shelter. Only this time, it has plans to install surveillance cameras to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.