"There's no wood at all attached in there [door frame], we were the ones that put that piece there to keep safe, like I said, we have children here," said Pamela Sparks.
That's where Sparks calls home, sweet home.
"We use this back room now for storage, we can't stay in here.You can clearly see the mold everywhere, it's just not safe," she said.
A chemotherapy patient recovering from liver cancer, Sparks has been living at the Sadosa Ridge Apartments for about a year and says many of the problems plaguing her unit have been around since then -- without being fixed.
"You can see the rust there [in the light fixture], water pours through it when it rains. We can't use any of the electrical outlets in the kitchen, and that's even what they told us," she said.
And Sparks is not alone -- several residents KTAB spoke with on Tuesday said they have similar issues they are still waiting to get fixed.
"We went 23 days without hot water, 17 without any water at all. We have a leak in our bedroom in our apartment," said Ann Boone, a resident.
"I lived here almost a year without A/C," added Jacob Oden, another resident. "I'd rather live in a cardboard box than these apartments anymore."
So the most pressing question might be why these people are still living in these hazardous conditions.
But for many of them, packing up and moving is easier said than done.
"I'm sick, I'm on fixed income, just coming up with the money to move -- for deposit, first months' rent, starting up electricity," Sparks explained.
So we went to speak with the manager of Sadosa Ridge, Ginger Brown, who has only been in charge since mid-December.
At first, she couldn't comment.
"The corporate office would be happy to prepare a statement for you, but I'm not allowed to speak on camera," she said while on the phone with the Austin-based company.
But then, someone from corporate called back and gave the OK to answer a few of KTAB's questions -- with this statement only.
"The safety of our residents is of our utmost concern and we are working with the proper authorities to get everything repaired," Brown said.
Well, with a front door that hardly seems secure, Pamela Sparks doesn't feel very safe at all.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.