Cigarette Causes Fire, Destroys Home

Published 03/15 2014 05:09PM

Updated 03/15 2014 06:06PM

A fire that destroyed a home on the 1200 block of Jeanette Street was caused by "improper disposal of a cigarette," the Abilene Fire Department says.

The fire started before 9 a.m. on Saturday and quickly engulfed the home. According to Lt. Mike Miller, the single family home was fully involved as soon as firefighters arrived.

Crews had the fire under control within 15-20 minutes, just around 9:45 a.m. The owner was able to walk away but sustained minor injuries and some smoke inhalation.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon