Do You Suspect an Animal May be in Danger?

Published 11/06 2013 04:12PM

Updated 11/06 2013 04:28PM

If you suspect that an animal is being abused or neglected, it is vital that you do something about it. Your involvement may be the animal’s only hope.

Where to Start
First, find out which agency is responsible for investigating and enforcing the anti-cruelty laws in your state, county, or town. This may be a local humane society or SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) or a taxpayer-funded animal shelter (animal control). In jurisdictions without a humane society or animal-management department, citizens can call upon the police or sheriff’s department to enforce the law.

Report Animal Abuse or Neglect

If the animal victim is not in immediate need of rescue, check state and local animal-protection laws by visiting your local library or city hall or by conducting an online search. Print out a copy of any laws that you believe are being violated, and be ready to cite these laws to authorities. In most states, causing an animal “unnecessary suffering” is illegal. That term can include everything from beating an animal to depriving him or her of clean water, food, or shelter.

Click Here to read the Texas Animal Cruelty Laws

If the animal is in a life-threatening situation, call authorities immediately (Abilene Police Department 325-673-8331). Follow up with them in a timely manner to determine their findings and course of action. If they do not respond right away, call PETA.

Gathering Evidence
Once you have determined which law-enforcement agency to contact (and ensured that the animal is not in imminent danger), provide authorities with a short, concise, factual, written statement, detailing the key points of what you have observed and giving dates, locations, and approximate times. Timely fact-gathering is crucial—the more time that passes, the greater the risk that specifics will be forgotten, witnesses will move, evidence will disappear, injuries will heal, etc. If you can, take pictures and date them; photographic or videotaped evidence fortifies your case, and short, factual, written statements from other witnesses will back up your observations.

Be able to at least answer the questions on this form by clicking here

Always keep a record of everyone you contact (official or otherwise), the dates of the contacts, and the content and outcome of your discussions. Never pass on a letter, photograph, or any documentation without first creating a copy for your file. Make it crystal clear to authorities that you wish to pursue this case and are willing to lend your assistance if necessary, and be sure to follow up! If you stay involved, they’re more likely to do the same.

Law-enforcement officials should inspect the animal visually, and if possible, conduct a hands-on field exam (referred to as “palpating” the animal) in order to find injuries or an otherwise unhealthy physical condition that may be obscured by the victim’s fur. Officials will often be fooled by a dog who “acts happy,” but manic or social behavior does not mean that the animal is safe; he or she may just be anxious to please or desperate for attention. A more thorough examination is necessary, and an injured or clearly endangered animal must not be left behind. The crime scene should also be thoroughly inspected for any indication that abuse has occurred. Suspects and neighbors (potential witnesses) should be interviewed. If the investigator agrees that your complaint has merit, a warning may be issued, charges filed, a warrant served, and/or the animal(s) removed.

Pursuing Your Case
Persistence has saved countless animals from abusive people. If you are unable to get satisfaction from law-enforcement officers, go straight to their supervisors. If necessary, appeal to local government officials, such as the mayor, prosecutor, city council members, or county commissioners. A simple call to the media (TV and print) in your area can move mountains. News coverage often forces officials to act and can also scare the abuser into stopping the cruel behavior. News coverage may also inspire viewers who have seen similar acts to step forward and share their own accounts. Be sure to keep records of your calls and what you were told until the issue is resolved.

If you have personally witnessed an act of cruelty, you can go to your local magistrate or police commissioner and swear out a warrant to summon the abuser to court. Expert witnesses can be very helpful—a veterinarian, for example, can sign a statement that it is his or her “expert opinion” that a dog suffers if swung by a leash, deprived of food, etc. If you know a sympathetic veterinarian, seek his or her assistance, and let officials know that you have expert support.

Click Here for a list of potential Veterinary Clinics in Abilene

Call PETA for Help
Advocating for abused or neglected animals can be difficult and heart-wrenching, but they are depending on you to find the strength to take action. You are in the position to make all the difference in the world for the animals in your community. Please feel free to contact PETA if you need guidance or support, or if officials fail to respond quickly to your complaint.

Please use any of the following links to help the animal that needs your help.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon