Researchers at Ashton University in Birmingham, England actually tested the theory. They treated an indoor floor with bacteria, then dropped various foods on it. They let each piece sit on the floor from three to 30-seconds.
Researchers checked the food to see if the bacteria had transferred to it.
Researchers did find a link between time on the floor and infection risk.
They also found food dropped on laminate or tile floors carry a higher risk than food dropped on carpet, and moist foods are most likely to pick up anything.
Share your thoughts here for a chance to be featured on Abilene Midday at 11:30!
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.