Fire Heavily Damages Home on North 12

By Dayne Marae |

Published 02/10 2014 10:58AM

Updated 02/10 2014 11:51AM

A man woke up to his house on fire early Monday morning.

The Abilene Fire Department received a call just after 8:00 that a house on the 2100 block of North 12 street was on fire. Firefighters only took four minutes to arrive on the scene.

According to the Abilene Fire department, smoke was pouring from eaves and windows when firefighters arrived. The 36-year-old man who lived in the home was able to escape and was treated for minor smoke inhalation on the scene. He was later taken to the hospital for further treatment.

The fire, which took less than 45 minutes to fully extinguish, caused extensive damage to a bathroom, bedroom and the home's furnishings. A neighboring home suffered damage to the exterior due to radiating heat.

Firefighters attribute the cause of the fire to a space heater in the bedroom that ignited nearby furniture.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon