Update: DPS Sends Additional Details on Thursday's High Speed Chase Ending in One Suspect's Death

Published 05/09 2014 11:06AM

Updated 05/09 2014 04:23PM


DPS has released additional details on the high speed chase that began in Eastland County and ended just north of Dublin with one of the two suspects being fatally shot by Law Enforcement.

According to the Stephenville Empire-Tribune, the remaining suspect has been identified as Jason Karl Groneman, 35, of Nevada. Groneman, has been charged with two counts of possession of a controlled substance, one count of evading arrest and one count of possession of marijuana between 50 and 2,000 pounds.

He is being held at the Erath County Jail on a $100,000 combined bond.

The above photo is courtesy of the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.

The following release is what was sent out Friday by DPS:

At approximately 3:20 p.m. Thursday, Cisco Police stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation. The driver elected to evade police and traveled east on I-20. The suspect fled through Gorman, DeLeon, and Dublin before crashing on U.S. 377 just north of Dublin in Erath County. The passenger was taken into custody; the driver fled on foot and barricaded himself in a vacant house.

The multi-jurisdictional Region 6 Special Operations Group was called to assist, and the standoff ended after the suspect was fatally shot. The group is made up of various city and county law enforcement agencies (DPS is not a member). The incident is under investigation by the Texas Rangers.

Original Story

According to the Stephenville Empire-Tribune, a high speed chase that began in Eastland County Thursday ended in the death of one suspect after he refused to cooperate with law enforcement.

A DPS trooper attempted to pull two suspects over for a traffic violation when the suspects sped away, leading law enforcement on a high speed chase through several counties.

The suspects' car was recovered in Dublin near an Allsup’s, but the suspects had fled.

Several hours later, a broken window in a nearby home alerted authorities that one of the suspects may be inside, and law enforcement contacted the homeowner who said the window was not broken earlier that morning.

One suspect was located in the attic of the home and was shot by law enforcement after repeatedly refusing to follow commands.

There are at this time no specifics on what traversed during this encounter, but more information on the incident will be released as it is made available.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon