Big Country Runners Safe After Boston Marathon Explosions

The sounds of panic quickly silenced any cheers of victory.

Thousands of people ran for their lives during the Boston Marathon after two explosions erupted right near the finish line.

"It's really scary just knowing that we were just there," said Belinda Southall, from Clyde, who was running in the race.

"I mean, there was people just jam-packed on the street," said her husband Dan Southall, "like, I had tried for like an hour and a half to get down to the finish line before the race started and there was no way."

Southall is thankful he didn't make it all the way to the front as he waited for his wife Belinda.

She crossed the line an hour before the explosions.

They were all smiles in the pictures taken near the starting point and finish line just moments before.

"We're just so thankful that we got out," said Belinda.

Randy White from Abilene had just crossed that same finish line less than 20 minutes before the two explosions.

He and his wife were on the subway headed back to their hotel when they felt it.

"I made a comment to my wife," he said, " I said, 'Wow, that's not normal' because you go down those things you know and they stop fast and all that but it just was kind of a tremble that wasn't normal."

Both couples feel fortunate to have gotten out before havoc took over the crowds.

"I think it's just a blessing from God myself that he blessed me and my wife both," said White.

To say it's been an emotional day would be an understatement.

Both Southall and White are still recovering from the high of a personal success.

"And then all of a sudden, bam! just like that," said Southall.

Only to be hit with a tragedy like this.

As of this publication, 144 people have been reported injured, 17 are in critical condition, at least 25 are in serious condition and at least 8 of those are children.

The six people in Boston from the Big Country have all been reported to be okay.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News