1 dead and 9 hospitalized after eating nacho cheese sauce

(CNN) One person is dead and nine others were hospitalized after they contracted botulism from eating contaminated nacho cheese sauce at a gas station outside of Sacramento, California, state and local officials said.

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released a statement Monday indicating the cheese sauce had tested positive for the toxins released by bacteria that cause the illness. The same toxins were identified in patients tested by the department.
The CDPH said it doesn't believe there is any continued threat to the public because the contaminated sauce was removed from sale on May 5.

Botulism is a rare illness caused by nerve toxins released by a bacteria called Clostridium botulinum, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms can include blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech and paralysis, among others. Some cases can be fatal.


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News