Three package bombs in two weeks are likely connected, Austin police say

AUSTIN, Texas (KXAN) — Three package bombs at Austin homes in the last two weeks are believed to be related, Austin police said Monday as they investigated two explosions Monday morning within 5 hours of each other.

In total, the three explosions have killed two people and injured two others.

In the third explosion just 11:50 a.m. Monday, a 75-year-old Hispanic woman walked outside her home in southeast Austin and found a package. It exploded when she picked the package up, Interim Chief of Police Brian Manley said, describing the packages used as average size boxes that are “not exceptionally large.” The packages are not from any of the official mail or delivery services.

At last report, Manley said the woman was in critical, but stable condition with life-threatening injuries following the blast in the 6700 block of Galindo Street, not far from the intersection of Montopolis Drive and East Riverside Drive.

“It shook my house and it shook my body,” said Isaiah Guerrero, who says he was in his room when he heard the explosion. Guerrero says he climbed onto his roof where he could see police walking up to one of his neighbors’ homes. “From that angle, you could actually see the house that got the package sent to them.”

Manley implored members of the community with any information on the explosions — “however trivial you believe it to be,” he said — to contact police. There is currently no description available of a possible suspect or suspect vehicle.

Anyone who finds a suspicious package they were not expecting at their home should stay away from the box and call 911, the chief urged.

Austin-Travis County EMS says a 17-year-old boy died earlier Monday after an explosion around 6:44 a.m. in the 4800 block of Oldfort Hill Drive, which is near the intersection of Springdale Road and East Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The boy’s mother was also injured in the blast.

Chief Manley said one of the residents had taken a package from the front porch inside and it exploded when they tried to open it in the kitchen. A woman injured in the explosion had non-life threatening injuries.

Police initially investigated a second package they found in the home and evacuated neighbors from the area using Capital Metro buses, but later determined the second package was not dangerous.


Get the full story on



Get the full story on

More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News