ABILENE, Texas (KRBC) - At 9:30 Wednesday morning, a fire started at the Bluebonnet Inn at the Texas State Technical College in Sweetwater. The Bluebonnet Inn has 24 rooms, accommodating for 48 students but when the fire started 28 students were currently living there. Fire crews are monitoring the fire but as of right now it is controlled. It started in the common work way in the center of the dorms and it grew hard for the fire fighters to reach.
"Absolutely nothing we could do from our end. The wind was blowing right down the middle of those rooms lighting them up faster than we could put them out," said Grant Madden, Fire Chief for the Sweetwater Fire Department.
Chief Madden says the team faced other struggles while attempting to put out the blaze.
"We were not able to contain it. We ran out of water," said Madden.
Sadly, they made the choice to let the building burn to the ground.
"We finally just had to pull the guys out and let it go," said Madden.
Thankfully no one was injured from the fire.
"All students are safe and accounted for so we are very grateful for that," said Maria Aguirre, executive director for communications and creative services with TSTC.
The 28 students who occupied those rooms lost everything inside but TSTC has accommodations in place to help them move forward.
"We are going to take care of those students at least for the next three days. We have motel accommodations or motel accommodations for them with their meals and everything provided," said Aguirre.
There has been a tremendous outpouring of support for the students so an Emergency relief fund has been set up to help those affected on this website.
SWEETWATER, Texas (KRBC) - Homecoming 2018 for the…
ABILENE, Texas (KTAB) - There is an on going…