TYLER, Texas — Hardin-Simmons’ women’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the American Southwest Conference women’s tennis championship with a 5-1 win over LeTourneau on Friday afternoon at the University of Texas at Tyler.
The Cowgirls jumped to an early 3-0 lead after doubles. Jenna and Hannah Smith cruised to an 8-0 win at No. 2 doubles and Aynna Phouthakhio and Kacie Berutti won 8-1 at No. 3. Genene Haddad and Jasmine Briant won at No. 1 doubles in a tiebreaker.
HSU then only need two wins in the six singles matches. Hannah Smith cruised through her No. 2 singles match, Haddad lost at No. 1 singles and Jasmine Briant won 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) to end the match. Three matches were left unfinished.
HSU moves to the semifinals at 11:30 on Saturday against Texas-Tyler. Both teams are now 8-12 after the match.
Hardin-Simmons 5, LeTourneau 1
1. Sarah Case (LETU) def. Genene Haddad, 6-3, 6-1
2. Hannah Smith (HSU) def. Shelby May, 6-2, 6-0
3. Jenna Smith (HSU) vs. Kayla Bonina, 7-5, 2-3, unfinished
4. Jasmine Briant (HSU) def. Amy Miley, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Alynna Phouthakhio (HSU) vs. Miranda Lamb, 1-6, 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
6. Kacie Berutti (HSU) vs. Megan Rush, 1-6, 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
1. Jasmine Briant/Genene Haddad (HSU) def. Kayla Bonina/Sarah Case, 9-8 (7-5)
2. Jenna Smith/Hannah Smith (HSU) def. Shelby May/Megan Rush, 8-0
3. Alynna Phouthakhio/Kacie Berutti (HSU) def. Miranda Lamb/Amy Miley, 8-1
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.