The Cowboys cruised through the three doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead and in singles HSU won all six matches in straight sets.
Sean Strehlow won 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 singles and Michael McCullough won 6-0, 6-0.
HSU is now 10-5 on the year and 5-0 in ASC West action. Howard Payne fell to 7-9 overall and 3-2 in league play. The Cowboys close ASC play on Friday at Mary Hardin-Baylor.
Hardin-Simmons 9, Howard Payne 0
1. Erich Bein (HSU) def. Edward Martinez, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Sean Strehlow (HSU) def. Ryan Prather, 6-1, 6-0
3. Cullen Dees (HSU) def. Luis Vallecillo, 6-4, 6-3
4. Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Jacob Cadena, 6-0, 6-0
5. Gavin Ybarra (HSU) def. John Samuel, 6-1, 6-4
6. Steven Stanley (HSU) def. Jacob Carrillo, 6-2, 6-2
1. Bein/Strehlow (HSU) def. Martinez/ Prather, 8-4
2. McCullough/Tony Record (HSU) def. Vallecillo/Cadena, 8-3
3. Ybarra/Stanley (HSU) def. Brit Campbell/John Samuel, 8-3
Hardin-Simmons' women's tennis team fell to Howard Payne 5-4 on Tuesday evening at the Streich Tennis Center in American Southwest Conference action.
Howard Payne took an early lead after doubles with wins as No. 1 and No. 2. The Cowgirls responded with wins at No. 1, 2 and 3 singles. Howard Payne won at No. 4 and No. 5 singles and that put No. 6 singles as the last match on the court.
HPU's Samantha Guerrero defeated Tram Le in a pair of tiebreakers to secure the match.
HSU is now 7-9 on the year and 3-2 in ASC action. HSU is in a must win situation on Friday at Mary Hardin-Baylor. If they do not win, they will not qualify for the ASC Tournament for the first time in school history.
HPU improved to 7-13 overall and 4-1 in ASC play.
Howard Payne 5, Hardin-Simmons 4
1. Lauren Jay (HSU) def. Gabi Crunelle, 6-1, 6-0
2. Morgan Rainer (HSU) def. Joan Burks, 6-1, 6-3
3. Genene Haddad (HSU) def. Whitney Turnacliff, 6-4, 6-2
4. Jenna Johnson (HPU) def. Kelsi Jackson, 6-2, 6-3
5. Emilee Stephens (HPU) def. Amelia Chaney, 6-4, 6-0
6. Samantha Guerrero (HPU) def. Tram Le, 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-4)
1. Crunelle/Burks (HPU) def. Jay/Haddad, 8-5
2. Johnson/Turnacliff (HPU) def. Chaney/Jackson, 8-4
3. Le/Rainer (HSU) def. Guerrero/Stephens, 8-1
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.