ABILENE, Texas — While many of the skill players in the state are in College Station for the state 7-on-7 Championships this weekend, the men in the trenches will be in Abilene for the inaugural State Lineman Challenge at Shelton Stadium on the campus of Hardin-Simmons University.
“We wanted to do something to get the linemen from around the state competing,” said Hardin-Simmons Head Coach Jesse Burleson. “We have hosted regional camps around the state where they all qualified throughout the summer. These guys really get into it and it is an intense competition.”
The event will begin at 9 a.m. and the teams are split into two divisions. There are 29 teams from around the state that have qualified for the state championship in regional qualifiers.
Abilene Cooper, Abilene High, Arlington High, Austin Westlake, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Georgetown Eastview, Mansfield Summit, Saginaw Boswell, San Angelo Lakeview, San Antonio East Central, San Antonio Jay, Wylie,
Anson, Coahoma, Cisco, Cuero, Cayuga, Dallas Madison, Ft Worth All Saints, Gatesville, Graham, Hawley, Levelland, Lubbock Roosevelt, Rogers, Sealy, Stockdale
1. Bench Press (Weights will vary for points 225 – 3 points each, 205 – 2 points each, 185 – 1 point each) – total for five team members
2. Truck Push (timed) – five team members, two members push – three ride - take fastest time
3. Dumbbell Stack Relay back and forth (timed) – total time for five team members
4. Farmer’s Walk – HEAVY (timed) – total time for five members
5. Tire Pull Relay w/ sledgehammers (timed) – total for all five members
6. Obstacle Course (timed) – total for all five members
7. X Tug of War (team matchups) – single elimination
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.