ABILENE - Abilene Christian's women's tennis team fell to visiting New Mexico, 6-1, Saturday afternoon on the outdoor courts of the Eager Tennis Pavilion.
With the victory, the Lobos extended their season-best winning streak to five games and are now 6-1 overall and 2-0 all-time vs. the Wildcats. The loss dropped ACU to 4-2 and the Wildcats will next head to El Paso and Las Cruces for matches against UTEP, Southern Mississippi and New Mexico State on Feb. 22 and 23.
The Wildcats began today's dual losing two of three matches in doubles, while the contest at No. 1 was left unfinished. The Lobo team of Lizette Blankers and Misa Bezdickova edged ACU's No. 2 tandem of Brittney Reed and Erin Walker, 8-7, and at No. 3, Wildcats Emily Conrad and Nada Marjanovic were doubled up by Susan Baklini and Emily oliver, 8-4.
Senior Micah Hermsdorf earned the Wildcats' lone point at No. 1 singles, beating Bezdickova in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. Hermsdorf is now 5-1 on the season at No. 1.
Micah's sister, Kaysie, along with Marjanovic and Conrad all lost in three sets at the No. 4, 5, and 6 positions. Marjanovic's loss snapped a three-match winning streak.
University of New Mexico 6, Abilene Christian 1
Feb 15, 2014 at Abilene, Texas (Eager Tennis Pavilion)
1. Micah Hermsdorf (ACU) def. BEZDICKOVA, Misa (UNMWTEN) 6-2, 6-3
2. BLANKERS, Lizette (UNMWTEN) def. Brittney Reed (ACU) 6-4, 6-5
3. SMITH, Natasha (UNMWTEN) def. Erin Walker (ACU) 6-2, 6-3
4. HOPSON, Meredith (UNMWTEN) def. Kaysie Hermsdorf (ACU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5. OLIVIER, Emily (UNMWTEN) def. Nada Marjanovic (ACU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
6. DULSKI, Dominique (UNMWTEN) def. Emily Conrad (ACU) 6-7, 6-1, 6-1
1. Kaysie Hermsdorf/Micah Hermsdorf (ACU) vs. DULSKI, Dominique/SMITH, Natasha (UNMWTEN) unfinished
2. BLANKERS, Lizette/BEZDICKOVA, Misa (UNMWTEN) def. Brittney Reed/Erin Walker (ACU) 8-7
3. BAKLINI, Susan/OLIVIER, Emily (UNMWTEN) def. Emily Conrad/Nada Marjanovic (ACU) 8-4
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.