Update: Charge Reduced for Original Murder Suspect

Published 03/13 2014 07:26PM

Updated 05/09 2014 04:50PM

05/09/14 Update

Alan B. Deax, 37, the man originally arrested on a charge of first degree murder in connection with the death of Matthew S. Augustadt, has been rebooked on a lesser charge.

Augustadt died in the hospital from injuries he sustained at his home on the 3100 block of South 23rd Street, and his death was characterized as a criminal homicide.

Deax was released from Taylor County jail on the original murder charge and was rebooked on Friday, May 9, on a lesser charge of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.

His bond, which originally totalled $250,000 has been reduced to $25,000.

The reason for the lesser charge is that there was not enough evidence to prove the murder charge.

03/17/14 Update

The Abilene police department has released further details on the identification and arrest of Alan B. Deax, on Saturday, March 15. Deax is one of two suspects identified in the murder investigation surrounding the death of Matthew S. Augustadt.

The Abilene Police Department (APD) held a news conference on March 13, 2014, seeking the public’s assistance in identifying two persons of interest that were present when Matthew S. Augustadt, now deceased, was injured at his residence in the 3100 block of South 23rd Street. As reported, Mr. Augustadt died at a local hospital on March 12th from sustained trauma that is now characterized as a criminal homicide.

Since then, both persons of interest at the crime scene have been identified. One of these persons was identified as Alan B. Deax (DOB: 05/16/76). Based on information gleaned from the investigation, detectives with the Criminal Investigation Division sought and obtained an arrest warrant which was executed on March 15, 2014. Detectives learned that Deax had left Abilene and was working on an oil rig near Big Lake, Texas, Reagan County, some 70 miles west of San Angelo. A group of detectives and tactical unit officers from APD drove to Big Lake and contacted the Reagan County Sheriff’s Office for their assistance.

Investigators confirmed that the rig site was located approximately 13 miles northwest of Big Lake. Accompanied by Reagan County Sheriff Deputies; a Texas Game Warden; and a Department of Public Safety Trooper; APD personnel secured the rig facility and located Deax in the early afternoon hours of March 15th. Deax was taken into custody without incident and taken before a Reagan County Magistrate. Deax was arrested for 1st-degree felony Murder. His bond was set at $250,000 and he was extradited back to Taylor County for questioning. The investigation revealed that Deax and Augustadt had been involved in a physical altercation on the evening of March 10th that led to Augustadt’s injuries during the assault.

APD is still awaiting final autopsy results from the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office.

03/16/14 Update

The Abilene Police Department confirmed Sunday that they've arrested Alan Bart-Dean Deax, 37, in connection to the suspicious death of an Abilene man last week.

Deax has been charged with first degree murder and was taken to Taylor County Jail Saturday night. His bail is set at $250,000. According to jail records, Deax lived on the same street as Augustadt.

Sgt. Lynn Beard of the Criminal Investigation Division says they will release more information Monday.

The medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death. Police say it could be two to three weeks before they get the complete autopsy report.


The Abilene Police Department is in search for a white male in between the ages of 30-40 and white female in her 30's in interest of the death of Matthew Augustadt.

The mother of 41-year-old Matthew Augustadt arrived home to the 3100 block on S. 23 on March 10, 2014 and saw her son speaking to the two individuals. She says she had never seen them before.

According to Sgt. Lynn Beard, later that night the mother heard a large thump and found Augustadt on the floor. She took him to his bed and later heard another thump. At around 5:40 p.m. on March 11 she called 911 because something was clearly wrong.

Emergency crews transported Augustadt to Hendrick Medical Center. After seeing Augustadt had received some kind of head trauma they notified police, followed by CID being notified.

Augustadt was pronounced dead at 4:38 a.m. by Justice of Peace. Augustadt's body has been transported to Tarrant County for an autopsy.

If you have any information, communicate with APD.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon