Why Worry About Thunderstorms?Lightning...
- Causes an average of 55-60 fatalities and 400 injuries each year
- Occurs with all thunderstorms
- Costs more than $1 billion in insured losses each year
- There is no safe place outdoors when a thunderstorm is nearby
- Causes an average of 60-65 fatalities and 1,500 injuries each year
- Can produce wind speeds in excess of 200 mph
- Can be 1 mile wide and stay on the ground over 50 miles
- Can occur at any time of day, any day of the year
Flash Floods and Floods...
- Can exceed 125 mph
- Can cause destruction equal to a tornado
- Are extremely dangerous to aviation
- Are the #1 cause of deaths associated with thunderstorms, more than 90 fatalities each year
- More than half of all flood-related drownings occur when a vehicle is driven into hazardous flood water. "Turn Around, Don't Drown."
- 6 inches of fast-moving water can knock you off of your feet
- 2 feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles, including SUVs and pickups
- Can be larger than a softball (5 inches in diameter)
- Causes more than $1 billion in crop and property damage each year
- Hail is larger than sleet and forms only in thunderstorms and can fall at speeds faster than 100 mph