Small-dead fish have been washing up around Lake Sweetwater over the past week. Tests have been conducted and results show that the cause is golden algae.
Small-dead fish have been washing up on the shores of Lake Sweetwater over the past week. Tests were conducted and results show that the cause of the kill is an invasive microscopic organism called golden algae.
Texas Parks and Wildlife says that the algae is not toxic to humans and fish that appear healthy are safe to eat.
This is not the first time golden algae has invaded Lake Sweetwater. The organism caused a 100% fish kill in 2003 and has been an issue in drought prone areas ever since.
Full results are not in yet, however this fish kill is considered to be a mild kill.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.