A house in the Heartland is left remains after a fire started Tuesday night at about 7:00 pm when residents of the home were playing with sparklers. The sparklers caught a shed on fire and flames reached the tops of nearby trees at about two to three stories high.
Sparklers are said to be one of the hottest fireworks and should be handled carefully. Brownwood Fire Chief Del Albright explains that "A lot of times what happens with sparklers, especially when kids have it, they end up dropping them and they're still hot after they go out for a short period of time. So, if you use sparklers it's a very good idea to have a little pale of water." A pale of water is ideal to properly and safely dispose of your sparklers to prevent accidents, like this, from occurring again.
Firefighters were dispatched in time to relieve the fire before it caused any further damage or hurt someone. However, the fire did cause smoke to flood the neighbor's garage and caused slight damage.
The Brownwood Fire Chief does have some tips to help keep you safe this 4th of July. "If you're going to fire of fireworks in the area, have a nice clearing, so you know there's not going to be vegetation close by that might be able to catch fire when you're firing them off," says Albright, which is exactly what happened in Brownwood Tuesday.
So remember, have your pale of water, a nice clear opening and be sure to only light fireworks outside of city limits.