We have all seen plastic shopping bags hanging from tree branches as if they were ornaments hanging from a Christmas tree. Holiday shopping, gift-giving and family celebrations can generate litter and unnecessary waste. Wind and rain quickly move this trash through our community and into our drainage ways and creeks.
Here are some simple things we can do to prevent holiday pollution:
- Bag your trash, tie it off and close your dumpster lid.
- Pay extra attention to your trashcans during the holidays. Don’t allow trash to spill out and litter your neighborhood and your local environment.
- Pick up any stray garbage lying around.
- Reduce the number of bags thrown out by bringing reusable cloth bags for holiday gift shopping. Tell store clerks you don’t need a bag for a small or oversized purchase.
- Wrap gifts in recycled paper or funny pages and reuse gift bags from year to year.
- Recycle leftover wrapping paper and gift boxes at your local drop-off site.