ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – An Abilene woman arrested for possessing and distributing child pornography is accused of sending a sexually explicit photo of a 5 or 6-year-old child via Facebook Messenger.
Mary Ellen Ranjel, 46, was taken into custody Thursday for Possession with Intent to Promote Child Pornography. She was then released from jail after posting a $15,000 bond.
Court documents reveal Ranjel was arrested after a search warrant was executed at a home on the 400 block of Clinton Street.
The investigation against Ranjel began in July after Abilene police received information from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children that she had used Messenger to send another Facebook user a photograph of a young child engaged in sexual activity with an adult.
Police have gotten a search warrant signed to review the messages between Ranjel and the other Facebook user.
It’s unknown if that warrant has been executed. Investigators were waiting to hear back from Facebook’s legal team as of the end of August.
KTAB and KRBC will withhold the other Facebook User’s identity until criminal charges are filed.
Check back with BigCountryHomepage for the latest information.
- Biden reversing Trump ban on transgender people in military
- Newsfeed Now: House to deliver articles of impeachment to Senate, Bucs make Super Bowl history
- Monday, January 25, 2021: Unseasonably mild and windy with sunny skies
- Sunny with lots of wind today
- Super Bowl LV odds: Kansas City a 3.5-point favorite