STANTON, Mich. (WOOD) — On what would have been Vayda Vasquez’s second birthday, a Stanton-area woman was arrested for her murder.
Michigan State Police said the suspect, a 36-year-old, was arrested Wednesday afternoon. She faces charges of open murder, first-degree child abuse and felony murder.
Family members said the woman was Vayda’s babysitter. Sister station WOOD-TV is not using her name because she has not yet been arraigned.
Vayda’s parents lost full custody of her more than a year ago and her maternal grandmother had custody at the time of the girl’s death. The grandmother, Tonia Rose, previously told WOOD-TV that the babysitter is a longtime family friend and that Vayda loved to go to the house to play with other kids. Rose also said she believed foul play was involved and wanted justice to be served.
The suspect was jailed and is expected to be formally charged Friday.
- Russia and Iran made ‘desperate attempts’ to interfere with election, US officials say
- Jim Ned’s Hunter Cooley is the Abilene Teachers Federal Credit Union Coach of the Week
- Haskell’s Brendle finds another family on the Indians football team
- Dorrel and Wildcats excited to return to game action
- Wylie High School class shows aspiring teachers ins and outs of career