GAS CITY, Ind. (WISH) — Indiana State Police have found the body of a missing girl. Investigators believe she was strangled by her stepmother.
Amanda Carmack, 34, has been arrested for the murder of Skylea Carmack. She is now in the Grant County Jail on preliminary charges of murder, neglect of a dependent resulting in serious bodily injury, strangulation and domestic battery resulting in serious injury.
Skylea had been missing since Saturday afternoon. A Silver Alert was issued on Sunday.
Police believe she was killed between 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday evening and was strangled.
Around 3 a.m. Wednesday, her body was found inside of a trash bag behind a shed. That shed is located behind her home.
Police did not discussion a motive for the killing.
“Our main focus is who and how, not why,” said ISP Sgt. Tony Slocum. “To try and rationalize why someone would kill a 10 year old, there’s no rationale for that. That’s just an act of cowardice.”
Six other children have been removed from the home and placed with DCS.
- Cooper boys and girls defeat Coronado and other scores around Abilene
- DC police seek man suspected of crushing officer in doorway
- Saints’ Brees sees playoff clash with Brady’s Bucs as fate
- Police investigating after some lawmakers claim Capitol tours were given to rioters ahead of breach
- Brief reunion coming for husband, pregnant wife separated between Abilene & Netherlands by COVID-19, visa issues