ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – A man was shot and killed by Abilene police after attacking officers with a knife early Wednesday morning.
Police first responded to a convenience store on the 2400 block of S 1st Street around 2:30 a.m. and learned a suspect, described as an African American male standing 6’3″ tall and wearing a black hoodie with white jeans, took beer from the store, assaulted the clerk, then fled.
Officers later found a suspect matching this description walking north of the railroad tracks, and when he was contacted, he ran to a backyard on the 300 block of Westmoreland Street.
When officers tried to arrest him, he attacked, and attempts to tase him were unsuccessful. He eventually attacked with a knife, so both officers shot him.
All three were transported to the hospital, where the suspect was pronounced dead.
Both officers, described as one male and one female, were treated for serious injuries and have since been released.
The suspect’s identity has not been disclosed and is pending next of kin notification.
- Masks greatly reduce size of ‘cough clouds’, study finds
- 41 new COVID-19 cases in Taylor County, 37 recoveries
- Tax records show Trump has bank account in China, tried to land projects there, report says
- Everyone in US gets a free taco after stolen base in Game 1 of World Series
- Cash rewards offered for info on wanted fugitives in Abilene