The holidays are a joyous time for us humans but there are some dangers for your pets you need to keep in mind.
Information from Windmill Animal Hospital:
- Christmas decorations: Cats climb Christmas trees and can get tangled up; dogs will grab ornaments and can cut their mouths or swallow them and cause obstructions; cats & dogs can chew Christmas light wires and get electrocuted, poinsettias and mistletoe are poisonous
- Christmas presents: Dogs & cats can easily detect edible Christmas gifts, no matter how well-wrapped; chocolate is highly toxic, raisins/grapes cause kidney problems, sugar-free products can cause fatal hypoglycemia–don’t put edible items where pets can get to them!
- Christmas guests: Any time people are coming in and out of the house more than usual, pets can sneak out and get lost/hit by car/attacked by other animals–keep an eye on your pets, or put them in a back bedroom!
- Christmas weather: It’s cold this time of year! make sure outdoor pets & livestock have access to shelter, and that their water sources stay thawed. They also need a lot more food this time of year, to metabolize to stay war.
- Christmas puppies & kittens: Don’t stress yourself and everybody else out–pick up the Christmas kitten and/or Christmas puppy AFTER Christmas!
Windmill Animal Hospital
2 Windmill Circle