CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Oprah Winfrey shocked attendees at a North Carolina fundraiser by announcing a donation of more than $1 million toward the United Negro College Fund.
The Charlotte Observer reports that former talk-show host and OWN television network chief made the surprise announcement Saturday while speaking at Charlotte’s 17th annual Maya Angelou Women Who Lead Luncheon.
United Negro College Fund officials were hoping the luncheon would help raise $500,000 for deserving area students to attend historically black colleges.
At the time of Winfrey’s address, a running tally at the event showed that about $1.15 million had been raised. That’s when Winfrey said she was going to match the total, prompting a standing ovation from the stunned audience.
Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com
- Bridge over Catclaw Creek on North 18th closed for foreseeable future
- Biden administration asks Congress to pass COVID-19 relief bill
- KRBC Thursday Evening Forecast: Brief break from rain tomorrow with more rain possible this weekend
- Brown Co. reports 32 new COVID-19 cases, 97th death
- Border wall construction goes on in spite of Biden mandate to stop it