WASHINGTON (AP) — Which Thanksgiving turkey will earn a presidential pardon? Will it be Bread or Butter?
The White House is sponsoring an online contest to help President Donald Trump as he contemplates his role in the 30-year-old tradition of sparing the National Thanksgiving Turkey.
According to the White House, Bread is a 45-pound (20-kilogram) turkey who likes a cherry flavored soft drink called Cheerwine, bluegrass music and college basketball. Butter weighs 47 pounds (21 kilograms) and enjoys eating sweet potato fries, listening to bagpipes and watching NASCAR.
Trump will name the bird he’ll pardon Tuesday afternoon at the White House. Afterward, he’ll fly to Florida for a campaign rally and to spend Thanksgiving with his family.
President George H.W. Bush established the annual turkey pardon tradition in 1989 by sparing a 50-pound (23-kilogram) bird.
- Monday Wake-Up Weather: Warm and windy today, rain chances tomorrow. Highs today around 90-91 with Southerly winds 10-15 G25mph. We have a 50% chance for rain and thunderstorms on Tuesday, mainly after lunchtime.
- Sunday evening forecast: don’t forget to grab the umbrella this week, you’ll need it
- BCH Sports Top 5 Plays of the Week: Week 5
- Dr Pepper Play of the Week: Abilene High’s Da’King Thomas runs and dives for the 52-yard score
- Sunday, September 26 – Warm Monday to start the workweek