BERLIN (AP) — The U.S. military says it’s preparing a massive exercise early next year in Europe involving 20,000 soldiers from the U.S., the largest deployment across the Atlantic for training in more than 25 years.
U.S. European Command said Monday the “Defender Europe 20” exercise from April to May 2020 will support NATO objectives “to build readiness within the alliance and deter potential adversaries.” Eighteen countries are expected to take part in exercises across 10 countries, including Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Georgia.
It will also involve 9,000 more Americans already stationed in Europe and 8,000 European troops.
The military says the exercise “confirms that the U.S. commitment to NATO and the defense of Europe remains ironclad.”
President Donald Trump has worried many NATO members with comments that the trans-Atlantic alliance is “obsolete.”
- COVID-19 hospitalizations in US soar to new daily record
- Cougars still trying to improve in open week after earning district title
- Abilene High maintained momentum into the postseason with big win in finale
- Cooper finished 2020 strong and earned first outright title since 2009
- Eagles are going to prepare as if they have an opponent during open week