ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – 65 people have been displaced after an apartment fire broke out in Abilene Sunday morning. Authorities say the fire was intentionally set, and a suspect is in custody.
Kevin Spurlock, 31, was arrested and booked into the Taylor County Jail. He was charged with Arson and Terroristic Threat to a Family; his bond totaling $275,000.
Police records show that Spurlock had threatened to kill his girlfriend. A short time later, the victim observed smoke from a fire coming out of her apartment; this almost burned down the entire apartment complex.
According to a press release from the Abilene Fire Department, at approximately 6:19 a.m., the AFD responded to a structure fire located at the 3200 block of North 3th street at the Briarwood Apartments.
“Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames showing from multiple apartments. The structure fire was quickly upgraded to a second alarm and then a third alarm. The crews were forced to make a defensive, exterior attack.”
21 apartments were currently affected by the fire and the Red Cross is assisting the residents of these apartments, they are currently working on securing hotels and motels for their residents.
There were no injuries reported.
At this time, the fire remains under investigation and the damage is estimated to be over $500,000.
Stick with BigCountryHomepage for the latest.
- HSU Cowboys sink Southwestern on homecoming
- Saturday, October 23 – Hot and windy for Sunday with a chance of elevated fire weather
- Saturday evening forecast: record breaking heat to close out the third week of October with severe weather to follow
- McMurry LB Josh Smith moves up in the record book in 28-21 loss to Texas Lutheran
- Class 2A/1A Scores and Highlights: Week 9