ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) — While there are many reports of people taking gifts, many people are choosing to give this holiday season.
Abilene families are picking up gifts collected by Marines for this year’s Toys for Tots toy drive.
On Tuesday, Marines collected around 11,000 toys for families who registered for gifts.
They’ll be picking out the perfect presents for their tots at the Modern Living Mall at the Taylor County Expo Center over the next couple days, bringing Christmas joy to those that may not have had anything under the tree to unwrap.
“It’s great, you know. It’s like I said, no other to have a kid happy on Christmas morning, it’s something no one else could ask for, so it makes me happy and it makes me happier that the family gets what they need,” says Gerard Cortez, Toys for Tots Coordinator.
Toys for Tots has been hosted across the country by U.S. Marines since 1947.
- Grammy Awards honor Kobe Bryant with touching performance
- Callahan County Sheriff not seeking re-election, two men are now putting their names on the ballot
- Sunday, January 26: This weekend 68 degrees was the magic number! Abilene felt the specific double digit warmth for a second day in a row
- Big Country locals react to Kobe Bryant’s death
- ECCA Volunteer FD hosts annual fundraiser, hoping to start the construction of their new fire station