ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) — Abilene Christian University (ACU) has canceled its homecoming football game because of coronavirus concerns.
In a news release issued Friday afternoon, ACU says they have decided to cancel the homecoming game against West Texas A&M that was slated for Oct. 17.
“We regret for our fans that we have to reschedule the game, but this was not unexpected. We knew we might have a few challenges when we decided to play this fall,” Dr. Phil Schubert, ACU president, said in a news release. “With some of our student-athletes testing positive for COVID-19, we know it’s in everyone’s best interest. This shows our testing protocols are working as they should.”
ACU says if they can’t reschedule the game with West Texas A&M, they will look for another opponent to fill a later date.
More details about homecoming will be announced early next week, according to the news release.
- Abilene nonprofit in search of more storage space for closet of medical essentials
- Eagles top Midland Lee; Cougars, Lady Bulldogs claim Southtown Showdown wins
- Alleged white supremacist arrested after ankle monitor puts him at Capitol riot
- Taylor County Jail reports no COVID-19 cases, unsure of when inmates can get vaccines
- Haskell Memorial Hospital overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases, sees 6 deaths in 6 days