AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Austin Mayor Steve Adler and the Austin City Council have voted unanimously to ban the use of choke-holds and strongholds as well as shooting at moving vehicles.
The Thursday votes also would mean tear gas and other less-lethal munitions would no longer be used for crowds expressing freedom of speech.
The allocated budget for the Austin Police Department will no longer include new hires and eliminate positions the department can’t reasonably fill during the next fiscal year.
The city’s judicial committee will now become a public safety committee.
- Florida sheriff bans deputies from wearing masks
- Washington man stuck in woods for 3 days saved by his dog
- Couple married 63 years reunites after spending months apart due to pandemic
- Justice Department dismantles the finances of terrorist organizations in the largest seizure ever
- Firefighters called after fearless iguana gets stuck in tree in Ohio