EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Authorities say they’ve identified a mystery man who was seen on surveillance video saving a baby during last year’s mass shooting at a Walmart in Texas that killed 22 people.
El Paso police say they’ve confirmed that Lazaro Ponce is the man seen in the footage.
Ponce tells the El Paso Times that he and his wife were homeless and living at a makeshift camp near the Walmart at the time of the shooting.
Ponce told the newspaper that he helped the baby, a man in a wheelchair and an elderly woman who had been shot.
He says he’s now living and working in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Bridge over Catclaw Creek on North 18th closed for foreseeable future
- Biden administration asks Congress to pass COVID-19 relief bill
- KRBC Thursday Evening Forecast: Brief break from rain tomorrow with more rain possible this weekend
- Brown Co. reports 32 new COVID-19 cases, 97th death
- Border wall construction goes on in spite of Biden mandate to stop it