ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – A house caught on fire near the corner of State Street and San Jose Drive.

UPDATE January 1 – The fire affected the attic and the porch outside and damages are estimated to be $20,000. After investigation, the source of this fire was determined to be a heat lamp left on by a doghouse and porch where the fire occurred.

Around 4:25 p.m. December 31, the Abilene Fire Department responded to a structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the back of the house.

No one was home at the time and animals were evacuated by neighbors and firefighters.

The fire remains under investigation and BigCountryHomepage will update as more information becomes available.