AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Republican Gov. Greg Abbott says coronavirus testing in Texas could increase as schools reopen amid a sharp drop-off in the number of tests in recent weeks.
Texas has averaged more than 34,000 tests a day over the past week.
That’s down from a daily average of more than 60,000 in late July.
New cases and hospitalizations have stabilized and decreased, and coronavirus deaths in Texas have reached nearly 8,500.
- COVID-19 cases rising among US children as schools reopen
- Biden releases 2019 tax returns ahead of debate
- Removing brain-eating amoeba from Lake Jackson’s water supply will take time, officials say
- Taylor Co. reports 15 new COVID-19 cases, 9 recoveries
- Airbnb cracks down on house parties, suspending more than 20 listings in the Austin area