AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Republican Gov. Greg Abbott says coronavirus testing in Texas could increase as schools reopen amid a sharp drop-off in the number of tests in recent weeks.
Texas has averaged more than 34,000 tests a day over the past week.
That’s down from a daily average of more than 60,000 in late July.
New cases and hospitalizations have stabilized and decreased, and coronavirus deaths in Texas have reached nearly 8,500.
- Dave Chappelle cancels shows after testing positive for COVID-19
- Coronavirus guidelines now the rule at the White House
- Police say 3-year-old Illinois girl fell from window at her home, died from cold
- Third stimulus check: GOP lawmaker wants $1,400 payment reserved for people who get COVID-19 vaccine
- Newsfeed Now: Biden administration asks Congress to pass COVID-19 relief bill; Texas group prepares Biden lawsuits