(WFLA/CNN Newsource) – The Food and Drug Administration has approved a new treatment for suicidal patients.
Monday, the nasal spray “Spravato” was approved as an antidepressant medication.
It’s the first and only approved medicine that has been shown to reduce depressive symptoms in people with serious suicidal thoughts within 24 hours of taking it.
Last year, Spravato was green-lighted for patients with treatment-resistant depression.
According to the drug’s maker, researchers believe Spravato can also rapidly reduce symptoms of depression.
The company says it does not know if Spravato is effective in preventing suicide, but t is not a substitute for hospitalization and clinical treatments.
- Abilene ISD Homeless Student Ministry in need of volunteers
- Cisco “D” leading Loboes through tough schedule
- Michelob Ultra looking to pay ‘chief exploration officer’ $50K to visit national parks
- Native American ancestral remains, artifacts returned to U.S. soil
- Ex-Pence adviser says Trump bungled virus; she’s for Biden