HAZEL CREST, Ill. (WGN) — A U.S. soldier from the Chicago area was among three people killed in an attack on a military base in Kenya.
WGN has confirmed that 23-year-old Army Specialist Henry Mayfield Jr. of Hazel Crest was killed Sunday. Mayfield joined the Army in 2018.
Two other Americans, both contractors with the U.S. Department of Defense, were also killed.
Members of the extremist group, al-Shabab, overran an airfield near a U.S. Military base, destroying planes and equipment. The airstrip is near the Somalian border and is used by US forces.
Kenya’s military said at least four attackers were killed.
Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the assault.
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- Small group of protesters gather outside of closed, guarded Texas Capitol on Saturday
- 5 new COVID-19-related deaths reported in Taylor County, 145 new cases
- Biden introduces key members of science team, including pioneering geneticist Eric Lander