Father of abandoned boy says custody agreement reached

Main News
abandonedboyanddad_1499182130841.jpg

EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – The father of the 4-year-old El Paso boy found abandoned in Ciudad Juárez says his attorney has reached a custody agreement with the child’s mother.

Jorge Luis Méndez said his estranged ex has agreed to give him custody of their son, Luis.

“After everything she did, it’s the right thing for her to do,” Méndez said.

Ruby Esmeralda González, 25, is facing multiple charges after police said she left her son at an empty Juárez warehouse back in February. According to police documents, González admitted to it, saying she wanted to “give her son a better life.”

The boy spent the next few months in protective custody in Mexico before his mother was arrested after coming forward and claiming the boy had been kidnapped, according to investigators.

Méndez maintains he had no idea his son was missing because González would make up excuses as to why the child could not come to the phone when Méndez would call.

The boy was brought back to the U.S. on Friday and reunited with his dad. Méndez said he plans to take Luis to Albuquerque where he lives.

“My family is waiting for him, to give him all the care and love he needs,” Méndez said.

This article originally posted on ElPasoProud.com

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

KRBC News