Person in Florida reportedly sickened from parasite linked to McDonald’s salads

Main News

FILE- This Feb. 15, 2018, file photo shows a McDonald’s Restaurant in Brandon, Miss. A Utah man is suing McDonald’s alleging that an employee spiked his Diet Coke in Aug. 2016 with a heroin substitute. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis, File)

(WFLA/CNN) – Florida is among the states where people have fallen sick from a parasite infection linked to McDonald’s salads.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that one case has been reported in Florida, as of Thursday.

The CDC said more than 500 people in 16 states have fallen sick from the intestinal illness.

Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, fever and body aches and can last anywhere from several days to a few months.

The infection can be treated with antibiotics.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, an unused package of Fresh Express salad mix tested positive for the parasite.

McDonald’s said in July it had removed the mix from impacted restaurants.

In a statement, Fresh Express said it issued a “precautionary recall” on July 27.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.