ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – The Texas Forts Trail is inviting participants to join on a historic caravan run, making multiple stops in the Big Country, according to a press release.
Starting on Thursday, October 4, the 50th anniversary caravan will depart from downtown Abilene and make its way around several historic sites in the Big Country before returning to the Key City on October 6.
The trip will honor the first ever caravan made by then Texas Governor John Connally and his wife in 1968, according to the release.
“The 50th Anniversary caravan is a wonderful way to call attention to the unique heritage and cultural resources that exist in our state and especially within the Texas Forts Trail Region,” executive director of the Texas Forts Trail Margaret Hoogstra said in the release. “Texas is the only state with ten separate heritage tourism regions, and they are based on the loop driving trails created by Gov. Connally in 1968.”
More than 660 highway miles will be covered over the course of the trip, according to the release.
Those willing to participate are invited to drive along in their vehicles during the trek. There is no fee to participate, but registration is asked. Reservations will be required for organized meals.
For further details on the caravan, registration, hotel planning and more, visit texasfortstrailregion.com/50caravan
- 8:00 am Frontier, Texas! – Rally at Frontier, Texas!
- 9:00 am Frontier, Texas! – Depart from Frontier, Texas!
- 9:30 am Fort Phantom – Depart from Fort Phantom
- 10:20 am Fort Griffin – Arrive at Fort Griffin (Rest/ Snack/ Stop)
- 10:50 am Fort Griffin – Depart from Fort Griffin
- 11:45 am Fort Belknap – Arrive Fort Belknap (Rest/ Lunch/ Stop)
- 12:30 pm Fort Belknap – Depart from Fort Belknap
- 1:45 pm Jacksboro – Arrive at Jacksboro (Rest/ Snack/ Stop)
- 2:15 pm Jacksboro – Depart from Jacksboro
- 2:45 pm Mineral Wells – Arrive at Mineral Wells (Rest/ Snack/ Stop)
- 3:15 pm Mineral Wells – Depart from Mineral Wells
- 4:20 pm Ranger Hill Rest/ Snack/ Stop
- 6:00 pm Brownwood Arrive in Brownwood Historic Site (Dinner/Program)
- 8:00 am Brownwood – Rally at Brownwood
- 9:00 am Brownwood – Depart from Brownwood
- 9:55 am Brady Arrive in – Brady (Rest/ Snack/ Stop)
- 10:30 am Brady – Depart from Brady
- 11:00 am Mason – Arrive in Mason (Rest/ Snack/ Stop)
- 11:30 am Mason – Depart from Mason
- 12:20 pm Presidio – Arrive at Presidio de San Saba (Rest/Lunch/Stop)
- 1:05 pm Presidio – Depart from Presidio de San Saba
- 1:30 pm McKavett – Arrive in McKavett (Rest/ Dessert/Stop)
- 2:00 pm McKavett – Depart from McKavett
- 3:15 pm Fort Concho – Arrive in Fort Concho (Dinner/ Program/ Overnight)
- 8:00 am Fort Concho – Rally at Fort Concho (Breakfast)
- 9:00 am Fort Concho – Depart from Fort Concho
- 10:15 am Fort Chadbourne – Arrive at Fort Chadbourne (Rest/ Snack/ Stop)
- 11:00 am Fort Chadbourne – Depart from Fort Chadbourne
- 12:00 pm Buffalo Gap – Arrive in Buffalo Gap (Rest/ Lunch/ Stop)
- 1:00 pm Buffalo Gap – Leave Buffalo Gap
- 1:30 pm Frontier, Texas! – Complete Caravan at Frontier, Texas!