A major explosion destroyed a South Abilene home with one man and his dog inside.
Neighbors describe the sound of the explosion as a bomb going off.
“I heard a boom just like bombs going off in Vietnam and it shook everything in my house,” says Veteran Duane Phillips, a near-by neighbor.
Debris was scattered throughout the neighborhood from the force of the explosion.
“I mean there’s pieces of the house on the other block,” said Lt. Mike Miller with the Abilene Fire Department.
Neighbors quickly reacted by running toward the smoke to rescue the homeowner.
The house had collapsed which made it difficult to find the victim, but luckily they were able to hear him.
“I could faintly hear him toward the back, ran back there, he had a dryer and a wall, cabinets on top of him,” said Donald Nelson who pulled the man out, brining him to safety.
The man made it out with minor injuries but unfortunately his dog has gone missing.
According to neighbors, the pet is brown full-sized dachshund named Theo.
The Abilene Fire Department believes the cause of the explosion is related to a gas line in the home.