TUCSON, Ariz. (KRON) – Three mountain lions who had eaten human remains close to a popular hiking trail were killed.
According to the Pima County Sheriff’s Department, the mountain lions were killed overnight after the human remains were discovered Tuesday during an investigation at Pima Canyon Trail.
Arizona Game and Fish Department officials say the mountain lions are not suspected of killing the victim, and an investigation is ongoing to determine what exactly happened out on the trail.
An autopsy for the victim is scheduled for next week.
Game and Fish Department Regional Supervisor Raul Vega told KGUN that mountain lions eating human remains is abnormal behavior and “those that do are more likely to attack a human being in the future.”
Officials said the mountain lions’ remains are being preserved as possible evidence in the death investigation.
- Live musical performances continue at Play Faire Park
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- Saturday Evening Forecast: A Final September Cold Front.
- México envía bomberos para ayudar combatir incendios en California
- Texas health department reports 3,283 new coronavirus cases