KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (WGHP) – A father was arrested and charged after he rushed and tackled a high school wrestler during a match, according to a Kannapolis Police Department news release.
Barry Lee Jones, of Harrisburg, was arrested on Saturday. He was charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct.
The teen he tackled was from Southeast Guilford High School and was wrestling Jones’ son, who is a student from Hickory Ridge High School, the release says.
Jones was processed at the Cabarrus County Jail and received a $1,000 secured bond.
The SGHS student was reportedly not injured.
The expert on the mat at the time of the incident gave the hand signals to call the SGHS student athlete’s move as illegal, according to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.
The Southeast Guilford High School wrestling coach and principal declined to comment.
- Former dean says Logsdon finances were healthy
- Abilene Philharmonic announces winners of Jerry Herman Masterclass
- Money Moment: The advantages of a First Bank Texas First Cash Account
- Texas Buffalo Soldiers to bring history to life at Abilene State Park
- Guiding Light star Ron Raines to be guest artist at Philharmonic Concert