ALBERTA, Canada (KRON) – A McDonald’s in Canada is apologizing after a pregnant woman was accidentally given cleaning solution instead of her latte over the weekend.
According to The Globe and Mail, Sarah Douglas, who is 32 weeks pregnant with her third child, took one sip of the drink and “knew something was wrong.”
Douglas pulled over and spit out the contents of the drink and when she went back to the McDonald’s, an employee reportedly told her that “two cleaning lines were hooked up to the latte machine.”
“What happened is that the machine was being cleaned — as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest’s drink was made,” a McDonald’s spokesperson said on behalf of Dan Brown, the restaurant franchisee.
“We have taken immediate action to review the proper cleaning procedures with the team and have put additional signage up as an added reminder,” the spokesperson added.
McDonald’s reports an inspector has visited the location and will not seek further action.
Douglas says she wanted to share her experience so it doesn’t happen again.
“As a mother, I want to make sure I have voice and that I’m being heard in terms of the safety of consumers, and how (alleged) negligence can affect people in such a drastic way,” she said.