(NEXSTAR) — Are you holding a record-setting Powerball ticket? There’s only one way to know.
The winning numbers for the $1.04 billion Powerball jackpot drawn on Monday, October 2 were: 12, 26, 27, 43, 47, and the Powerball 5. The Power Play was 2X.
Ahead of Monday’s drawing, Powerball officials estimated the prize at $1.04 billion with a cash value of $478.2 million. At that size, the jackpot stands as the fourth-largest in Powerball history, coming in behind a $2.04 billion jackpot hit last November in California; a $1.586 billion jackpot split by three tickets (California, Florida, Tennessee) in 2016; and a $1.08 billion jackpot won by a California ticket in July.
Should there be a winner in this drawing, the prize would rank as the ninth-largest lottery jackpot in the U.S. It could, however, eclipse a $1.05 billion Mega Millions prize won by a ticket in Michigan in 2021 to become the eighth-largest.
The largest lottery prizes in the U.S. are:
- $2.04 billion (Powerball): Nov. 7, 2022; California
- $1.602 billion (Mega Millions): Aug. 15, 2023; Florida
- $1.586 billion (Powerball): Jan. 13, 2016; California, Florida, Tennessee
- $1.537 billion (Mega Millions): Oct. 23, 2018; South Carolina
- $1.348 billion (Mega Millions): Jan. 13, 2023; Maine
- $1.337 billion (Mega Millions): July 29, 2022; Illinois
- $1.08 billion (Powerball): July 19, 2023; California
- $1.05 billion (Mega Millions): Jan. 22, 2021; Michigan
- $1.04 billion (Est. Powerball): Oct. 2, 2023
- $768.4 million (Powerball): March 27, 2019; Wisconsin
It could also become the largest Powerball jackpot won in nearly any state. In all but three — California, Florida, and Tennessee — the largest jackpot ever won is below $1 billion.
Jackpot winners have two options to receive their prize: an annuitized payout of gradually increasing payments over 29 years or as a lump sum. The payouts can vary depending on the state as well.
Powerball tickets are $2 each and sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 10:59 p.m. ET. You have a 1 in 292.2 million chance of winning the Powerball jackpot and a 1 in 24.9 chance of winning any Powerball prize.
Meanwhile, the $1.08 billion Powerball jackpot hit this summer remains unclaimed.