NEW ORLEANS (AP) – President Donald Trump turned sports fan for an evening as he attended the College Football Playoff championship game Monday between No. 1 Louisiana State University and No. 3 Clemson.
The president and first lady walked onto the field shortly before the game for the singing of the national anthem.
Fans from both teams cheered him loudly. Some greeted him with cheers of “USA, USA.” Others chanted “four more years.”
Trump has routinely sparred with professional athletes during his two years in office. College football has managed to avoid such political controversies.
The Trumps left before the fourth quarter and the final score, LSU 42-25.
- Second stimulus checks: Sides hope to reach deal this week on package with $1,200 payments
- Clorox wipes won’t be fully restocked in stores until 2021, says CEO
- Wake-Up Weather: Wednesday Morning Showers for Some, Heat and Gusty Southerly Winds Returning to the Big Country.
- Wednesday, August 5, 2020: Very hot and dry afternoon with a noticeable south wind
- Wake-Up Weather: Warm and mainly dry start to a very hot and dry day with a south breeze