DALLAS (KTVT/CNN) — Authorities say an off-duty Dallas police officer accidentally shot and injured his adult son Saturday night at his home in the town of DeSoto.
Police say the man mistook his son for an intruder.
He called 911 and they arrived to find the son bleeding from his forearm.
He was taken to a hospital with injuries that are not considered life-threatening.
“He didn’t know he was supposed to be there and so forth, and it was a startling situation. It was an accident. And fortunately we are very happy that it did not result in a serious bodily injury or death,” said Pete Schulte, DeSoto Police Spokesman.
The officer and the son’s names have not been released.
Police said if any charges are appropriate later on, they will be forwarded on to the district attorney’s office for a decision.
- Wednesday, January 22: Sun-filled day with mild temperatures 52-65 degrees across the Big Country
- Super Bowl LIV: 49ers-Chiefs for dummies
- Abilene church pays off over $1.5 million of community’s medical debt
- Construction work begins on former Lincoln Middle School building
- Republicans say there’s ‘no evidence, no facts’ in Trump impeachment