DALLAS (KTVT/CNN) — Authorities say an off-duty Dallas police officer accidentally shot and injured his adult son Saturday night at his home in the town of DeSoto.
Police say the man mistook his son for an intruder.
He called 911 and they arrived to find the son bleeding from his forearm.
He was taken to a hospital with injuries that are not considered life-threatening.
“He didn’t know he was supposed to be there and so forth, and it was a startling situation. It was an accident. And fortunately we are very happy that it did not result in a serious bodily injury or death,” said Pete Schulte, DeSoto Police Spokesman.
The officer and the son’s names have not been released.
Police said if any charges are appropriate later on, they will be forwarded on to the district attorney’s office for a decision.
- US lawmakers introduce bill to encourage preventive health care
- Feds offer $460 million in public transportation grants
- Coronavirus recovery: Lawmakers on both sides of aisle pushing help for small businesses
- House passes bill to establish Latino museum on the National Mall
- Delays in test results continue to plague Texans as Gov. Abbott says state is working on quicker turnaround