AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke says President Donald Trump should resign as Congress begins an impeachment investigation.
O’Rourke said Saturday there shouldn’t be a fear of an impeachment probe intensifying partisan divisions. The former Texas congressman said at the Texas Tribune Festival in Austin that he believes impeaching Trump would ultimately unify the country.
But O’Rourke says “the best thing” Trump can do at this point is to step down. Trump defiantly denies any wrongdoing.
The 2020 Democratic presidential field is unanimous in its support of Congress for launching an impeachment investigation. The White House’s handling of Trump’s calls with foreign leaders is at the heart of the House impeachment inquiry.
O’Rourke has been lagging in the polls but says he’s in the race “until the very end.”
- PHOTOS: Remembering Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Cornyn-led bill authorizing federal grants for training in child sexual abuse prevention passes Senate
- Democratic Senate nominee Hegar highlights pandemic challenges for Texas parents
- 59-year-old basic training grad set to join son’s Army unit
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87