AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke says President Donald Trump should resign as Congress begins an impeachment investigation.
O’Rourke said Saturday there shouldn’t be a fear of an impeachment probe intensifying partisan divisions. The former Texas congressman said at the Texas Tribune Festival in Austin that he believes impeaching Trump would ultimately unify the country.
But O’Rourke says “the best thing” Trump can do at this point is to step down. Trump defiantly denies any wrongdoing.
The 2020 Democratic presidential field is unanimous in its support of Congress for launching an impeachment investigation. The White House’s handling of Trump’s calls with foreign leaders is at the heart of the House impeachment inquiry.
O’Rourke has been lagging in the polls but says he’s in the race “until the very end.”
- Country band Lady A sues singer with same name
- Split Supreme Court rulings keep Trump’s financial records private for now
- Teens discover bodies stuffed in bags while filming TikTok videos
- Newsfeed Now: “Glee” star goes missing; Remembering Charlie Daniels
- Trump argues high COVID-19 cases due to testing, experts largely disagree